Sunday, August 19, 2012

rewards

the teacher who formerly taught at my school left a literal ton of small toys behind. usually, I am against treasure boxes for a couple of reasons. one being that I don't believe you should be rewarded for just doing what you're supposed to, and kids do think that, so a lot of whining ensues. and secondly, it is a hassle to keep stocked. but for now at least, I will be giving away something for at least every class; for those who are on task, those who are ready first, those who help out. what kind of treasure box or rewards do you use?

2 comments:

  1. I do have a treasure box, but I hate it because kids feel entitled to it. I RARELY use it actually.

    So, in place of that I do a few different things.

    One thing is, I give kids mustang money which is a school-wide policy at my work. It is basically a system of rewarding "money" that the kids save up for a positive behavior party they get to go to for good behavior at the end of every 9 weeks.

    More immediately, I am about to start "activity coupons" which I found on Pinterest. A child may redeem a coupon they receive for showing "mustang behavior" (that means they are showing respect, responsibility, and readiness...another school-wide thing). They may redeem those coupons for special privileges in class, like, sit in the teacher's chair, or wear your favorite hat to class, etc.... I'm not too sure what I think of this concept, but I thought I'd try it out since it wouldn't cost much.

    Also, I do something similar to your R.O.C.S thing for line-up, and the kids love getting to line up first too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I had a treasure box last year for about half of the year. I didn't like it, so I don't use it this year except to harbor the ROAR tickets that we are required to give out for good behavior. Kids got into fights over who had or hadn't been to the treasure box and it ended up being more trouble than it was worth for me.

    ReplyDelete