Sunday, August 28, 2011

Japanese culture study

for my second grade classes, we are doing a culture study with Japan. they will be creating a koi fish mobile and a haiku.
First, the will learn to draw a simple fish shape. i made some templates for them so that they can follow size requirements better ( i don't want any minnows in my koi school), but they are all expected to make and cut out their own fish. for CDC students, you could make the templates for them so that they only have to color them.
next, the students will attach tissue paper to make the fins and tail.
after that, we are going to talk about syllables  and practice writing haikus. then they can write one of their own, or use the one we write as a class to attach to the bottom of their fish mobile.
the fish will all be hung together in a "school".

and yes, this lesson is cat approved.

and here are some student examples. there are a few eels among the koi, love that Modrian-esque fish.

2 comments:

  1. I just realized that all the comments I've posted on here haven't been showing up because I have been forgetting to do the word verification thing...So i'm posting them all agian!

    I love these!!!! I'm doing a multicultural thing at the end of the year and I might just use this! They are so adorable and make me so happy!

    ReplyDelete